Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Figuring It Out: Workplace Dressing


Perhaps one of the toughest things about graduating from college and moving on to the dreaded "real world" is transitioning from sloppy and/or inappropriate dresser to pulled-together and professional dresser.

Since my friends and I are all newly minted college grads, I thought that we might put together a project of sorts about figuring all of this out. Even though I've been dressing for the workplace for under a year, I've quickly developed very strong feelings about what I personally think is and isn't appropriate for the office and about what does and doesn't work for me in terms of a work look. I knew that my friends would have really interesting and insightful things to add to the conversation so I recruited two friends who work in different cities and different industries to come up with their personal 5 Essential Rules for Dressing for Work. I think it will be interesting to see how our collective 15 rules compare and contrast with one another.

First up is Kate who lives and works in Providence, RI and does research in a hospital setting (Click here for her post or scroll down). Tomorrow I will give my five, I live and work outside of Philadelphia and do fund-raising for a 501c3. On Friday, BLW will give her rules, she lives in Pittsburgh and works in a corporate setting in the finance field (Update: BLW's 5 Rules are forthcoming - she promises).

I think it will be really interesting to see what everyone has to say on this issue!

(Photo: Vogue, 1926)

No comments:

Post a Comment