Sunday, May 9, 2010

Bohemian Dressing: My Thoughts



I recently finished reading Amanda Brooks' chapter on bohemian style. Obviously, I have a strong affinity towards the bohemian (Exhibit A: Aladdin Pants).

Bohemianism is the first style that I was ever personally interested in having anything to do with. Though I did not always have a proper understanding of how to pull off bohemian without looking like a demented Cher, I have always liked the idea of dressing like a hippie or a gypsy because, as Amanda Brooks states on page 81, "Bohemian style is laid-back, comfortable, and - most important - self-expressive. It is never, never about pouring yourself into the clothes that someone else thinks you should wear."


(Me in New Orleans, 2005 - this was one of my less cringe-inducing "hippie lite" looks)

Thanks to the success of Free People and Urban Outfitters, a lot of teenagers now dress like couture hippies and they are subversive only insofar as their parents' dislike the price tag that is associated with such brands. But all the way back in 2003, when I was first trying to figure out my personal style, dressing like someone who just walked out the King of Prussia mall's version of Woodstock was my tellingly safe way of sticking it to The Man (i.e. Abercrombie & Fitch). Back then, dressing like a bohemian was about non-conformism. After four years of college, I certainly no longer see bohemian style as rebellious and, thankfully, I've also realized that it's completely possible to incorporate bohemian elements into your wardrobe without looking like a complete Fashion Don't (not always the case when I was in high school).


(Me in New York, 2006 - sporting a very Boho look)

Though I have recently been trying to build my wardrobe with classic pieces, I will never be able to resist a romantic peasant top or a tunic in an interesting print. There are just some things that I will always, always love about bohemian style:

1. The Peasant Top
Amanda Brooks says: "The peasant blouse can take many shapes, usually defined by volume either in the sleeve or in the bodice, and is adorned with romantic and decorative details." (p. 85)

I say: I cannot resist a nice peasant top. Excuse my use of Audrina Partridge, she is completely noxious but I love the top she is wearing in this picture.

The popularity of peasant tops ebbs and flows but, if you like peasant tops (as I do), you will likely always be able to find one in a cut that jives with current standards of length and fit. It is one of my go-to wardrobe staples.

2. The Tunic Top

Amanda Brooks says: "A tunic is a short version of a caftan, usually falling just over your hips. Some people can make a tunic work as a minidress, but when in doubt a tunic is most chic and flattering worn over long tailored trousers, capri pants, or jeans." (p. 88)

I say: I love the way a tunic top looks with skinny jeans and flats or boyfriend jeans and heels but my current personal favorite way to wear a tunic (or any tunic length shirt) is with shorts and heels.
I have a personal belief that you can only successfully emphasize one sexy body part at a time. A plunging neckline looks classiest with long sleeves; whereas, a sleeveless turtleneck renders the shoulders uniquely alluring. Likewise, I think bare legs become totally mesmerizing when the rest of the body is more or less completely covered. During the warmer months, a tunic is your most realistic way to pull off this look because other long-sleeved tops will almost certainly be too hot. It's one of my current favorites.

3. The Caftan

Amanda Brooks says: "It is an incredibly useful piece of clothing...if they work for you, you can wear them all the time" (p. 88).

I say: If I am ever pregnant, expect to see me in a caftan every day until that damn baby is born.

4. Bohemian Prints

Amanda Brooks says: "Bohemian prints have achieved classic status as far as I'm concerned. I'm thinking of paisley, tapestry, romantic florals, basically anything that makes you think of the 60s or 70s (but forget the psychedelics)" (p.89).

I say: I love, love, love bohemian prints. Something about them drives me absolutely wild and I cannot seem to get sick of them.


I could stare at this Tory Burch dress for DAYS.

Here is Gisele Bundchen wearing my favorite bathing suit. This woman could sell me anything.

5. Frye Boots

Amanda Brooks says: "Frye boots are very authentically 70s college coed. You have to be kind of a tomboy to pull these off. They're not the most feminine shape" (p. 91).

I say: I am not a tomboy but I'm determined to pull these off someday.
6. Bohemian Jewelry (last but certainly not least)

Amanda Brooks says: "Whatever else you're wearing, adding a few long necklaces, chunky rings, dangly earrings, or bangle bracelets will give you an instant bohemian feeling" (p. 92).

I say: Absolutely. There is nothing I love more in the world than bangle bracelets and their ability to completely turn the mood of an otherwise dull outfit. They are my all time favorite type of jewelry. If I have a signature look, bangles are part of it.


(Me in Ocean Ciy, 2006 - wearing some of my favorite bangles).





No comments:

Post a Comment