Monday, April 26, 2010

Classic Dressing: My Thoughts


So I finished reading Amanda Brooks' chapter on "classic dressing". I have to say, she sort of sold me. Here's why:

1. Jackie O: "Arguably our most famous fashion icon, Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis defined the concept of America style for her generation and beyond. She may be most famous for her pink tailored suit and pillbox hat, but it is her more casual and 'unofficial' outfits that inspire me most." (p. 64)

(Barring the square-toed shoes, someone could wear this exact outfit today and be considered 100% stylish!)

2. Classic does not have to equal preppy: "Classic does not have to mean predictable or boring impeccable American prep. There's french classic, movie star classic, tomboy classic. The list goes on." (p. 33)
(Brigitte Bardot, Classic? Yes, Preppy? No!)

3. In a lot of ways it's the most practical and economical: "Classic dressing should feel authentic, not theatrical. It's about making smart shopping choices and keeping the clothes you buy for a long time; whether you have been or not, it's always chic to look as if you've been wearing the same pieces for years." (p. 31)

(Keeping in mind this picture was taken in 1928! Needless to say, Chanel knew her stuff!)
(P.S. I would commit unspeakable acts of malice if only to have those gloves!)


4. The Fisherman's sweater: "When worn simply (with, say, black trousers and flats) it can be chic and timeless" (p. 40).

I freaking love these sweaters! And I'm not afraid to admit that it's because they remind me of the early 90's. Apparently they are not 90's. They are classic. I need one asap!

I could go on: riding boots, aviator glasses, ballet flats, pumps, button downs, L. L. Bean totes. Now that I am building a work wardrobe, I'm really into the idea that classic pieces exist. Trends aren't always work appropriate and in the interest of trying to look the most professional at the lowest cost, I've decided that I need to do my best to buy nice things that won't go out of style and will last unless I spill coffee on them (always a possibility!). So I was really feeling this classic dressing chapter because it was very in line with a lot of what I've been thinking lately when I shop for work clothes.


(Images courtesy of famespy.com, flickr.com, cimcontent.net, minichika2.files.wordpress.com, pinkofperfection.com)




No comments:

Post a Comment