Friday, April 23, 2010

Bags: how many do you need?


When I was in New York with my friends for my birthday, I saw Amanda Brooks' book I Love Your Style: How to Define and Refine Your Personal Style in the bookstore at the Brooklyn Museum of Art. I thought it looked really interesting so recently I bought it on Amazon.

On page 47 she asserts that "If you are a classic dresser...a black and a brown handbag are really all you need." Here's why I think she's wrong:

1. Hello! Evening bags! You can't bring the same huge bag that you carry around with you all day out at night!

2. Black and brown can look pretty "heavy" during the summer months. I think you need a white bag in the summer.

Personally, I think every woman needs four larger day bags:
  • a black bag and a brown bag for fall and winter that you can alternate depending on your outfit
  • a "summer bag", which should probably be white. If not then it should be coral or turquoise or some other flashy color (perhaps lime?) that you can really only get away with in the summer months
  • I personally believe in such a thing as a "spring bag". My spring bag is tan and cream from Arcadia. My ideal months to use it are the end of March through the middle of June. It wouldn't be inappropriate to use in September or early October but fall is my favorite season and the beginning of fall always makes me feel like wearing deep, rich colors.
I also think every single woman who ever goes out at night needs a black patent clutch. If she's only going to have two other clutches, she might want to think about a silver one and a gold one. I also feel like a white clutch or evening bag is a must for summer time.

No comments:

Post a Comment